With the help of my two new apps (fabric stash and pattern pal), I’m putting a beautiful spring wardrobe sewing plan together…and almost entirely from my stash! Over the past year, I’ve really noticed that my self-made separates are the garments that I wear again and again – those and my Colette Macaron – and so I really want to focus on them.
Two more pairs of vogue 1051 Alice + Olivia are almost done; the denim pair is down to the hooks, eyes and hems, while I’ve got the waistband and finishing to go on the camel cords, inspired by a beautiful pair I spotted in Holts a couple months ago.
I’m also really looking forward to making a couple of Rachel Comey skirts from Vogue’s collections: 1274 and 1170. My 1274 – to be sewn in black sateen – is inspired by a Marc Jacobs skirt from the S12 collections – though I’m disappointed that my sateen is looking a bit cloudy from just my prewashing. I’m wondering if it’s a poor quality sateen – or if sateen is just that fussy to work with…
Best of all? By using my new apps to document my stash and scraps, I knew that I had about .6 metres of this leftover from my trouser jeans… I ended up saving myself from buying a half metre of fabric. Love that!
And another Rachel Comey pattern… my mom bought me this one – plus the fabric – for Xmas 2010. I muslined it over the holidays, and am eager to cut into the real version. It’s an awesome pattern, and i’m really wanting to do a casual version for late spring/summer. Navy linen is a possibility – soft linen/rayon blends are my latest love – but Dressew’s also got a cute voile with embroidered polka dots. Since it’s fully lined, it’s also a good candidate for my take on the lace trend…
This aqua crepe de chine is one fabric in the stash that I’ve had a hard time finding just the right pattern for… turns out the right pattern was in my stash all along – Burda style 07.2011.113 (yay apps for helping me put these together!). This is going to look amazing with the alice + olivia pants. I think I’ll give the rose pin a pass however. It’s pretty, but not very me…
Just before the holidays, I was motivated to rub off an American Apparel top I’ve long loved, but just can’t justify paying $30 or more to replace. Plus it seems my closest AA (downtown) tends to focus their stock on the hideous lame leggings, rather than their rather lovely basic cotton tops. I love the result – even better than the original top – and I can’t wait to whip up a bunch more… including in bamboo for the gym! Best of all… it only takes about 3/4 of a metre!
I’ve had this outfit in the plans for a while, and I’m looking forward to putting it together. However, I have to land on a skirt pattern… the Burdastyle 02.2011 is the one that first caught my eye, but I’m wondering if the… fishtail?… at the back makes things needlessly complicated… I was then thinking of Butterick 5466, in my stash, but I’m keen on the higher waisted and shapelier Burdastyle 11.2011. The only drawback? I’d have to print and tape the damn pattern sheets together. Can’t overstate how much I hate that!
Saving the best for last… this fabric that I’ve had my eyes on for a year at Fabricana has hit the clearance shelves… a wool blend for $8/metre. I couldn’t resist! For this season’s ambition project, I’m really looking forward to making a coat, and sinking my teeth into some tailoring skills! Bring on the pad stitching!
Because the fabric is so excellent, I’m thinking of doing this princess-seamed, raglan coat in one of the ost straightfoward versions – single breasted, with a simple collar. But, I’m so attracted to some of the mod styling from the late 60s – I’ve been drooling over some of the late 60s Vogue Paris Original and Vogue Couturier patterns – and am thinking of the double breasted version, but with one row of buttons, and a simple collar (which this pattern doesn’t offer for the double-breasted version).